Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Does this count as cheating?

So now that I'm back at work (I work at a middle school), I'm realizing that there is going to be another challenge to this venture -- what am I going to do about school supplies?

Unfortunately, working in an under-funded (aren't they all!) school in a low-income area, there really are lots of things that the school and these kids needs. And there is no funding to get these items. I was able to get a lot of things used to set up my office (board games, art supplies, $20 Goodwill couch), but now that I'm also coaching the basketball team, I'm not totally sure what I'm going to do. We need more jerseys, and a play clipboard, and I would love to give the kids T-shirts or something to make them feel special, but those are all things that are very hard (or gross!) to find used! Before the break, I finally just asked for donations of basketballs becacuse I didn't know where else to look for them.

I caved today and bought a play clipboard online off of ebay. I think it is used, and was only $8, and it's for my super awesome middle schoolers, but it still doesn't feel totally kosher to buy something more or less for me only 8 days into the "buy nothing new" year...

Hmm, I'm going to have to get creative here!

1 comment:

  1. Do you know about Donors Choose? I bet you could get some donations for things you need...my mom uses it all the time and gets all kinds of stuff for her classroom!

    ReplyDelete