Monday, January 7, 2013

"Buy nothing new" emotional disclaimer

As you can probably tell at this point, I am really excited about my "buy nothing new" year. I think it's going to be challenging at times, but also adventurous, cleansing, interesting, and a concrete expression of my values.

That being said, I am having a bit of a hard time expressing my excitement about this outside of the blogosphere. I know this is an unconventional goal and there is definitely a small part of me that fears being judged, but mostly I just fear offending other people. How do I express my excitement about "buy nothing new" year and my high valuation of responsible consumerism without inadvertantly making others feel judged or offended?

The few people I have told about this have all been excited and supportive (they are my besties, after all), but how will everyone else react?

I guess this is just the therapist in me, sometimes a little too empathetic, but I do want to put it out there loud and clear that I mean no offense, judgment, condescension, etc. with my enthusiasm for my non-consumer lifestyle! Thank you for understanding :)

2 comments:

  1. If we could make it through almost an hour at Target with you not buying anything, and me buying a bunch of stuff and not feeling judged...well, I'd say you're going to be just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are soo confident and so strong, and though you'll feel pressure from others at times, you are going to feel so good when you've actually done this!! You are such a great role model, CC<3

    ReplyDelete